Why didnt Frazier and Liston ever fight in the '60s?

Why didnt Frazier and Liston ever fight in the '60s?

Left Hook From Hell...
Who ducked who?

Re: Why didnt Frazier and Liston ever fight in the '60s?

I've heard it going both ways.  Sonny was doing well after the losses to Ali. Frazier could have given him a title shot. But you know what? At that time, with Joe at his absolute peak and Liston being over 40 years old, Joe would have likely crushed him.

If they fought, Sonny would have been Joe's biggest victory right under Ali.

Re: Why didnt Frazier and Liston ever fight in the '60s?

^^I kind of change my mind here. Liston may have been old but he still hit plenty hard and Joe was always vulnerable to sluggers, especially early in the fight. Joe should still be the favorite maybe, primarily because of his youth and his hand speed, but Sonny still has a puncher's chance and could hurt Joe just as easy as Joe tries to bull his way in.

Re: Why didnt Frazier and Liston ever fight in the '60s?

Phantom Punch
Frazier ducked Sonny. Sonny deserved a title shot considering he had been champion before and was the top dawg in the heavyweight division for so long. I figure Joe and Yancy figured that Sonny was all wrong stylewise for Joe. If Joe really wanted to defend the crown against Sonny, he certainly could have.

Re: Why didnt Frazier and Liston ever fight in the '60s?

It's simple. Joe ducked The Big Bear. Sonny was still capable of beating anyone whose name was not Muhammad Ali.