Why not hit the nose?

In the long history of boxing I've noticed that a lot of guys don't go for the nose. Is it considered cheating? I know in a real fight, the nose is one of the first places I'd aim for. No matter how big or tough a guy is, if you smash his nose he's gonna recoil in pain; either long enough for you to get the advantage or he'd stop attacking, period.

Is there a reason why boxers generally go for only the chin or the jaw? The eyes and nose are even more vulnerable imo, but aren't focused on as much.

Re: Why not hit the nose?

MAGUIRE
I don't think the nose is as vulnerable as you think. The very man you pictured (Rocky Marciano) fought even more frantic and brutal when his nose was slashed open. (shrugs)
 photo lennox-hair_3476731_GIFSoupcom_zps919d29c7.gif

Re: Why not hit the nose?

Vnexpress
You can fight with a broken nose but you can’t fight with a concussion.

A nose can be a vulnerable spot but it needs a special sort of strike. If you curl your hand into a fist and press it against your nose, you will feel it bend under pressure. A hard punch will thus probably break it, but not much more. However, if you open your hand, put your palm under your nose and push, you will feel more of a sting. A sudden open palm strike at this angle can still probably break it, but will also stun and even put some tears in your eye, setting you up for a punch down the pipe.

Putting on a glove takes away that option tho.

Re: Why not hit the nose?

I agree with you guys. I just think the pain would deter you from fighting back effectively, especially if you got smashed hard in the nose with a straight right or something. Or, imagine a heavy Sonny Liston jab smashing you right in the nose? The strength of the blow would knock you backward and the punch itself would break your nose.

As for Rocky, his nose was cut but not smashed. It was more of a cut, not a break. I'm not saying it wasn't a painful experience for Rocky, but it wasn't a legit breaking of the nose, more of a slicing.

Re: Why not hit the nose?

South Pacific
Duggerman wrote
I agree with you guys. I just think the pain would deter you from fighting back effectively, especially if you got smashed hard in the nose with a straight right or something. Or, imagine a heavy Sonny Liston jab smashing you right in the nose? The strength of the blow would knock you backward and the punch itself would break your nose.

As for Rocky, his nose was cut but not smashed. It was more of a cut, not a break. I'm not saying it wasn't a painful experience for Rocky, but it wasn't a legit breaking of the nose, more of a slicing.
I hear you man. Someone slicing a piece of your nose away with a knife would hurt for sure, but not like someone mauling it right on the button and hearing that pop!

Re: Why not hit the nose?

Vnexpress
A heavy Sonny Liston jab would hurt regardless of where it lands, even if it’s the forehead or forearm.

Re: Why not hit the nose?

BAD INTENTIONS
AJ you have a point. I have seen some tough guys crumble the minute their nose or jaw gets broken.

Re: Why not hit the nose?

Evolution
BAD INTENTIONS wrote
AJ you have a point. I have seen some tough guys crumble the minute their nose or jaw gets broken.
It psychologically can cripple you too. I can't count the times I've seen many a fighter see their own blood or realize that they've been cut or have an eye closing. It does something to your confidence, and while you're beginning to panic and get insecure, the other guy becomes twice as bold because they have a target.

Re: Why not hit the nose?

Even split open, it still looked better than Michael Jackson.

Re: Why not hit the nose?

Leo the Lion
I dunno bro, every punch I throw is either at the chin, at the temple or behind the ear. I only throw jabs to the nose. Personally if I get cracked to the nose I just walk through it. I know it's not gonna knock me, and I'm used to it. I've never been down so can't say the other punches hurt me, but I can tell you my ears have rung a whole bunch of times when connected behind the ear. The nose is just sore, but when you're used to that pain it doesn't do much. That's assuming you're a hungry fighter who enjoys a dog fight.

Just my 2 cents
Leo Rothmann - Amateur Boxer 183lbs