Why was Triple H never on his own?

Rosco

He always was associated with a faction or sidekick.

The Kliq- Not technically a faction, more of a group of friends behind the scenes. I don't think it counts. Although it did help in paving the way for HHH and HBK's friendship and led to the creation of DX.

Original DX - A group of rebels who chose to stick it to the man and refused to take orders from anyone.

The Corporation - After rebelling against the man for so long, Triple H's ambition and ego eventually got to him and he sold out. He saw that being a rebel got him nowhere, and by joining the Corporation it would at least get him one step closer to the World Heavyweight Championship. Joining the Corporation gave him the opportunity to get closer to the McMahons.

The Corporate Ministry - Same as above although I believe HHH wanted to show his allegiance to McMahon by siding by them as opposed to The Undertaker and his ministry. Ultimately however HHH turned on Vince when he drugged Stephanie McMahon but I believe it was a power move because he would marry the bosses daughter out of it, plus he was WWE Champion at the time too so he succeeded in his goal.

McMahon/Helmsley Faction - By this time HHH was now on top of the world, throughout 2000 McMahon/HHH used friends and allies to aid them in helping keep their positions at the top of the footchain.

Two Man Power Group - By this point HHH's family ties had drawn him into the McMahon inner circle. At the same time Vince had joined forces with Stone Cold. Vince was kind've like glue that held it all together because he kept them both in check and played the voice of reason. But being allied to Stone Cold also meant that they could dominate the WWE as I believe HHH liked being close to power.

Evolution - They were created to keep the World Heavyweight Championship on Triple H. Kind've similar to McMahon/Helmsley faction except this time HHH decided to be more professional about it. Instead of using alliances he formed a group of dedicated individuals. In Ric Flair he has the dirtiest player in the game who's experience would be invaluable and he could act as an advisor. With Batista he an enforcer to help keep the title on him and take out whoever got in his way, and Randy Orton was meant to be his protege.

DX- By this time, HHH's relationship with Vince was not what it was because he was now seperated from Steph effectively cutting his ties to Vince. At the same time Vince was feuding with his old friend Shawn Michaels. They reconciled and reformed DX. Although this incarnation of DX was a bit different from the original incarnation but the concept was still there. As for their third run, again it was more about friendship and HHH needed help for HBK during his feud with Legacy.

The Authority - At this point HHH and Stephanie McMahon are now corporate, and had all the power in the world to do as they please. HHH and Steph believed they were doing what's best for business in a sort of deluded way. In order to maintain control in WWE, they formed The Authority. Randy Orton was their first pick as Crown Jewel because they saw him as the perfect company man. They then switched to Seth Rollins who they saw as the future. They also tried to get Roman Reigns because they also see him as being the perfect company man. But yeah, The Authority was there to maintain their power and control over WWE.

Re: Why was Triple H never on his own?

Urban Legend
I noticed that myself. But I think in a way it's part of his character. He uses people to get what he wants and then ditches them. He's a ruthless guy.

Re: Why was Triple H never on his own?

It did take Chyna to finally put him over when he was Hunter Hearst Helmsley. When you look back early in his WWE career, you can see easily why folks never thought he'd make it as a singles star. He didn't get much attention until his association with Chyna, and then he was Shawn Michael's sidekick in DX. He proved himself massively when he took over as the leader of the group after WrestleMania 14, and again during his first WWE title run in late '99. To me he was a great heel champion and matched up well with all of the top guys.

But he has been on his own several times. When he returned from his injury in January 2002, he was single. In fact, he stayed that way until Evolution the next year.

Trips can make it on his own. I just think he has great chemistry with others and does well when in factions or in duos.

Re: Why was Triple H never on his own?

Sivul
Hunter is another X-Pac; he just played the game better and didn't fall into the trap of drugs and alcohol.

Hunter and X-Pac both established themselves and got over by being associated with cool people.

Hunter had his chance to be "the man" in 2003-05 but failed. With Austin retired and The Rock gone for 8 years to film movies, you'd think that the man they often rivaled in the ring (Hunter) would become the face of the company.

Well guess what? Under Hunter's leadership the ratings plummeted and in time JOHN CENA usurped him from out of nowhere to become the face of the WWE.

To cut it short, Hunter just doesn't have "it."

Re: Why was Triple H never on his own?

Zombies Ate Me
Sivul wrote
Hunter is another X-Pac; he just played the game better and didn't fall into the trap of drugs and alcohol.

Hunter and X-Pac both established themselves and got over by being associated with cool people.

Hunter had his chance to be "the man" in 2003-05 but failed. With Austin retired and The Rock gone for 8 years to film movies, you'd think that the man they often rivaled in the ring (Hunter) would become the face of the company.

Well guess what? Under Hunter's leadership the ratings plummeted and in time JOHN CENA usurped him from out of nowhere to become the face of the WWE.

To cut it short, Hunter just doesn't have "it."
I like HHH. I don't like his backstage politics but his character is one of the best heels of all time. Austin and Rock were the Attitude Era. HHH, Undertaker, Mick Foley, Kane and the others were just as fun but they were supporting characters.

What you just said is like expecting someone like The Undertaker to suddenly become the "face" of the company when Austin and Rock left. Does it mean that Taker lacks charisma without other people? I doubt that. Austin and Rock were one of a kind and when they moved on, so did the fans that grew up with them.

It didn't have anything to do with HHH being weak or anything. And John Cena had the right gimmick at the right time. The white boy Hip Hop fad was in back then.