Why wasn't Earnie Shavers feared?

George Jefferson

Given the fact that he's the hardest punching heavyweight in history, I find it odd that guys weren't intimidated by him.  Why didn't he generate an aura of fear like Tyson, Foreman, Liston, etc?

Re: Why wasn't Earnie Shavers feared?

This fight is one example.

https://youtu.be/fyBpm4vHeRQ

Pathetic. This loss, and him losing to an old out of shape Ali (who was already showing signs of Parkinson's) does little to make him appear menacing. Earnie could punch but he couldn't really fight, and as shown here and other fights, his chin and stamina were suspect.

Re: Why wasn't Earnie Shavers feared?

He wasn't feared because he sucked. He was the black David Tua with a terrible chin and horrible stamina.

Re: Why wasn't Earnie Shavers feared?

Zorro
He was more feared than most of you realize. I remember Shavers well during his heyday and a lot of men feared his power. But he was a very beatable fighter so you always had a chance. Compare this to a young Mike Tyson who was not only undefeated but also quick and brutal.

I recall Foreman saying once that he avoided Shavers because of his power. If its true this is sad because it would have been an easy knockout win for Foreman.

Re: Why wasn't Earnie Shavers feared?

Evan Fields
Yeah. Earnie was a nice guy overall. He lacked that menacing mystique of the other punchers.

Re: Why wasn't Earnie Shavers feared?

George Jefferson wrote

Given the fact that he's the hardest punching heavyweight in history, I find it odd that guys weren't intimidated by him.
Why would you say men weren't intimidated by him?  Many were, and George Foreman was one of them.

Boy. If Earnie had developed a jab and didn't rely on his vaunted right hand so much, he would have been even more of a terror.

Re: Why wasn't Earnie Shavers feared?

Alucard
He didn't have the size, the skills, the chin, the stamina, and if you look into it, his power was extremely overrated in my opinion... Hitting an ill zombie-like Ali flush plenty on the head/jaw with his favorite right hand, and not even able to knock him down, really? Still won that fight, in my opinion... Foreman was humble and classy as usual talking about fearing Shavers, he would have sparked him in one or two rounds easily... Foreman was by far the bigger puncher...

Re: Why wasn't Earnie Shavers feared?

49-0
Alucard wrote
He didn't have the size, the skills, the chin, the stamina, and if you look into it, his power was extremely overrated in my opinion... Hitting an ill zombie-like Ali flush plenty on the head/jaw with his favorite right hand, and not even able to knock him down, really? Still won that fight, in my opinion... Foreman was humble and classy as usual talking about fearing Shavers, he would have sparked him in one or two rounds easily... Foreman was by far the bigger puncher...
I don't think Shavers' power was underrated. If all those guys shared the same opinion, it's likely true. I do agree that Shavers performed quite pitiful against old Ali though, but he also tried to pace himself. Had he been more aggressive he would have finished him in round 2. But he was keeping in mind what happened to Foreman years prior in Zaire..

Re: Why wasn't Earnie Shavers feared?

Alucard
I wouldn't trust boxers when talking about power punchers... Isn't it funny that all who said Shavers hits hardest did beat him? Something curious indeed, "look, i beat the hardest puncher of them all, how cool is that?"... Also a few things, Ali was in horrible shape and ill against Shavers, Foreman never ever hit him flush on the head/jaw and he was in perfect shape, Lyle got blasted by headcase Foreman coming out after a year of inactivity, survived Shavers, Tex Cobb beat Shavers, Tillis too and his opinion differs from time to time, said Tyson but also Shavers, Holmes is difficult to assest, even though he got blasted by Tyson and survived Shavers, he was in far far worse shape against the former, still something to look into... Obviously there is much more to kos than power, but still... As you rightly said, Shavers tried to pace himself against zombie Ali, since suspects stamina and chin, but damn, hitting him flush like that and not even a knock down...

Re: Why wasn't Earnie Shavers feared?

Sivul
His right hand was legendary. Makes me wonder who had the hardest right hand between Shavers, Foreman and Baer. Maybe Shavers had the hardest right hook and Foreman had the hardest haymaker. Their uppercuts are probably a wash; they both destroyed many a man with the uppercut.

Re: Why wasn't Earnie Shavers feared?

Bert Sugar

Re: Why wasn't Earnie Shavers feared?

Maximillian
Earnie was a genuine nice guy. He wasn't mean like a Dempsey, Tyson, Liston, Foreman, etc. And if you watch him close you'll notice that he lacked killer instinct. Most guys he finished with a single punch, so in situations when his opponent took his best punch or survived a knockdown (Ali and Holmes for example) he lacked the ability to finish them off.

Re: Why wasn't Earnie Shavers feared?

Maximillian wrote
That's a good point also. He wasn’t a good finisher; most fights ended with one singular grand slam. When it was time to finish off a gravely wounded opponent, he rarely succeeded.

Re: Why wasn't Earnie Shavers feared?

Why didn't he generate an aura of fear like Tyson, Foreman, Liston, etc?
They probably hit harder. More and more people these days are saying that Earnie's punch was more mythical than anything and it's increasingly making more and more sense.

Re: Why wasn't Earnie Shavers feared?

Hit Em' Hard
Rosco wrote

 More and more people these days are saying that Earnie's punch was more mythical than anything and it's increasingly making more and more sense.
How so? You've seen his knockout reel? Earnie used to put guys to sleep! Nothing mythical about that shit. You can see it! Also, I don't think a lot of guys who beat him decided to get together and plan to promote him as the hardest puncher they fought. "Hey guys. Let's tell everyone that Earnie punched harder than everyone else! That way it makes us look even better because we beat him."

Naw. If an opinion is shared so often it's probably true.

Absolutely agreed Rosco, Shavers power is more myth than reality... Yes, opinions from boxers and opponents are important, but they can be biased and inconsistent like everyone else, and most importantly they must be supported by facts... Facts and records are not supporting Shavers being this mythical devastating puncher, at all...

Re: Why wasn't Earnie Shavers feared?

Re: Why wasn't Earnie Shavers feared?

^^I agree. Well said.

Entaowed wrote
Oh, & Ali had some fear of Shavers also, but used it effectively.
Ali feared Shavers? Elaborate.

Re: Why wasn't Earnie Shavers feared?

Alucard
No doubt Foreman hit harder than Shavers... Foreman was a true HW, just on size, strenght and weight alone he is over Shavers... Then the ko records, Foreman much better, against far better opponents, bigger guys, and proved himself again in the late 80s/early 90s, that's a huge accomplishment for a guy from the 70s...

Yes, as i already said, there's more to kos than power alone, accuracy, punch placement, the surprise effect, and so on... But still, Foreman in fact was more crude than Shavers, when he fell in love with his power, Shavers threw straighter punches, his technique was decent... This should've been an advantage for him if he was such a devastating puncher...

Also, the Ali that fought Foreman was in perfect shape, his peak in my opinion, and that fight plus the Frazier's ones ruined him completely... He was a zombie vs Shavers... Lyle seems butthurt and never got over that Foreman loss, understandable... Norton again was basically shot vs Shavers, and years later at times he said Foreman was the harder puncher, at times Shavers, at times they were about the same... Tillis said Shavers but then said Tyson... Holmes seems butthurt over Tyson, his only ko loss, but he was also in worse shape against Iron Mike... But damn, Shavers had two entire bouts, hit Holmes with his best punch ever, Holmes recovered... Tyson blasted Holmes away in 4 rounds...

As we can see, boxers statements are very biased and unreliable, and in Shavers case not supported by facts and records...

Re: Why wasn't Earnie Shavers feared?