Wilder-Fury was a damn draw

It was a great fight. Fury is a real man for getting up from the two knockdowns, especially that bomb in the 12th round. But despite those hiccups, he should have won that fight.

Re: Wilder-Fury was a damn draw

From what I observe, once boxer get closer to their 40th fights.

That is when things get harder.

Undefeated Sugar Ray Robinson, Mike Tyson and George Foreman lost their fight.

Riddick Bowe almost lost to Holyfield and Andrew Golota. That is closer to his 40th fights.

Notice how hard for Rocky to get his undefeated heavyweight record.

His last fight to knockout Archie Moore at 49 straight wins.

Tyson Fury and Luis Ortiz showed Wilder that they are his true challenges after his 40th victories...

Could Wilder maintain his victories or started to lose?

Time will tell...

Both have lost their winning streak...

Re: Wilder-Fury was a damn draw

Will69
I loved the antics and banter in the pre-fight interviews.  Brings me back to the 90s.  And Fury making faces throughout the fight?  Hilarious!

In terms of the scoring, I thought Tyson was generally the better boxer, and may have edged the scores in the end.  He landed a lot more shots.  His head movement and foot work was fantastic for a huge man.  His defense was great.  Wilder was flailing around most of the fight, and looked uncomfortable throughout -but he always does, till he knocks you out.  Tyson clearly won most of the rounds, and one could even argue the final round where he was knocked down, Fury was still the aggressor much of that round (not sure how that would score though).  And Fury getting up from that 2nd knockdown with 1 second to go?  Straight out of Hollywood.

Wilder certainly has a solid chin for taking great shots in the head all night by a giant and staying upright.  But despite me thinking Tyson edged the scores, a small voice in my head of me says Wilder deserved a draw for those two Rocky-esque knock downs he laid on Fury.  And for this reason, overall, I'm not completely foiled with the decision.  And the fans get a rematch in the end!

Re: Wilder-Fury was a damn draw

Fury was sleeping good for almost 9 seconds.

Re: Wilder-Fury was a damn draw

precious-1
I really enjoyed the fight & have been proved wrong by Fury's boxing abilities & resilience. Being generous to the scoring as I could Fury won 114-112 with the 2 10-8 rounds but hey I ain't gonna say robbery. I just wish Deontay would not claim Fury got a long count, look at the official clock he was up at 9 & the ref was excellent. The 115-111 was just plain wrong, but it was ironic the British judge who sealed Fury's fate with a draw.

I still maintain AJ is the best heavyweight, he hits in my opinion as hard as Wilder & is a far superior boxer, a genuine 242lb man, KO for Joshua. Fury is way more awkward & would prove a tougher proposition for sure but if AJ had Fury down as Wilder did, AJ would have finished him with measured shots in my opinion. All that said I don't think I am totally convinced of my own opinion & if Fury goes the distance I would happily be proved wrong.

Re: Wilder-Fury was a damn draw

Re: Wilder-Fury was a damn draw

Will69
The only thing the following video has to do with the Wilder-Fury fight is that this happened at the weigh-in.

I don't think you'll ever see a bigger collection of ex-HW champs on stage together. Includes Bowe, Lewis, Buster Douglas, Holyfield, Gerry Cooney, Shavers, Michael Spinx.

The funny thing is Bowe looks like he wanted to goad Lewis for a moment!

Re: Wilder-Fury was a damn draw

Bowe could have clocked Lennox for millions of dollars back in 1993 if he wasn’t chicken. It’s easy to act brave now when they’re both long retired and on the verge of being senior citizens.

Re: Wilder-Fury was a damn draw

redfeng007
Just find Bowe more exciting.

He fought bigger names or same competition of Lennox Lewis.

He beat Holyfield and close fight in rematch.

He could have beaten Razor as well.

There is no reason for him to fear Lennox Lewis.

There is also money issue that they never fight.

He asked for 9 million and Lennox Lewis 1 million.

Of course Lennox Lewis turned down the fight.

Bowe could have better career than Lennox Lewis.

In the end, he ruined his own path.

I think history repeats itself.

Just like Anthony Joshua vs Deontay Wilder.

Now Tyson Fury is the middle man.

Holyfield.

Re: Wilder-Fury was a damn draw

You DO realize that Bowe dropped the WBC belt in the trash can to duck Lennox, right? Lennox knocked out Bowe in the 1988 Olympics and Bowe feared him ever since.

Also Bowe did NOT fight the same level of competition Lewis did. Lewis beat Morrison, Ruddock, Mercer, Golota (in one round, Bowe struggled with Golota in TWO fights) Tua, Briggs, Vitali, Bruno, Holyfield, Butler, Tyson, Grant, and on and on.

The only big names Bowe fought were Holyfield and Golota. And like I already mentioned, Lewis destroyer Golota in one round while Bowe would have lost twice to Golota if not for those low blows.

Re: Wilder-Fury was a damn draw

redfeng007
I mean before Bowe dropped the belt in the bin, he fought the same competition with Lennox Lewis.

Re: Wilder-Fury was a damn draw

Nope. By that point Lewis had already beaten Bruno, Tony Tucker and Ruddock, (all three were top guys and Tucker had been heavyweight champion) and Lewis later beat far better competition than Bowe ever faced. Before the dumpster incident, the best guy Bowe fought was Evander.

The facts are this: Lewis beat better competition than Bowe.

Bowe was afraid to fight Lennox. Despite Bowe’s constant trash talk, his actions prove different.

Lennox has the much stronger legacy.

Bowe only had one loss as a professional (Holyfield) but the guys he beat weren’t at the highest level. Lewis routinely destroyed the top level guys. And Bowe honestly would have lost those Golota fights had Golota not been obsessed with punching Bowe’s balls. The same Golota that Lewis crushed in less than a round, mind you.

Re: Wilder-Fury was a damn draw

Re: Wilder-Fury was a damn draw

Yeah, and RedFeng said in his post that he found Bowe more exciting, so that confirms his bias. We all have opinions and preferences, but we can’t change the facts to suit our objective.

Re: Wilder-Fury was a damn draw

Will69
True, Bowe's resume is short and his prime was really short.  But everyone seems to forget... he beat a determined and on fire Evander Holyfield.... twice!

Re: Wilder-Fury was a damn draw

Will69 wrote
And that’s the ONLY real feat he ever accomplished.

In the end, he ruined his own path.
No disrespect, but what the hell are you talking about? The only thing you said here that was true is that Riddick ruined his own path.

Re: Wilder-Fury was a damn draw

Joe Kingman
Administrator
Urban Legend wrote
No disrespect, but what the hell are you talking about? The only thing you said here that was true is that Riddick ruined his own path.
There's no reason to be rude, man. He's very biased to Bowe and may have changed the truth to favor him, but get off his back.

-Joe Kingman

Re: Wilder-Fury was a damn draw

precious-1
Good points Entaowed, especially the excellent referee & the significance of the 10 count over 10 seconds. Many casual observers don't get this

Re: Wilder-Fury was a damn draw

Tyson Fury is something special.

He ended Wilder's winning streak by a draw.

Not only he survived Wilder's power, but he also makes Wilder looks bad in the ring.

Deontay Wilder is still in his prime.

He just scored his first round knockout against Breazeale.

12