Wladimir Klitschko versus Ray Mercer

Left Hook From Hell...
I'm becoming somewhat of a Ray Mercer fan after seeing what a tiger he once was. Klitschko beat him like he stole something. Easy win. But if Ray had been younger would he have beaten him? Was if it was this version of Wlad in there with Ray in 1996 instead of Lennox Lewis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgF6x4M_w48

Re: Wladimir Klitschko versus Ray Mercer

Seeing as to how Wlad is 100% focused in most of his fights and Mercer is only focused 50% of the time, I think Mercer would lose to Wlad two out of three times if they fought a trilogy. Mercer had trouble with tall jabbers, something exploited by Larry Holmes. To be fair, Mercer did learn from that fight because he managed to outjab Lennox Lewis years later. Lewis had no answer other than bending down and slugging, which played to Ray's advantage.

IF it were the motivated Mercer of '96 fighting Wlad, Mercer would win by knockout. Wlad avoids a shootout at all costs. He wouldn't last the distance the way Lewis did.

The actual fight Mercer and Klitschko had was terrible. How old was Mercer? 44? And he went down in round 1? This is far, far, far from the Mercer that fought Lewis. He wasn't "merciless" anymore.

Re: Wladimir Klitschko versus Ray Mercer

Evolution
Ray has a puncher's chance but little more. Ray only did so good against Lennox because of Lennox's technical mistakes like bending down before throwing the uppercut and failing to counter Ray's jab. Klitschko would never fight Ray's fight the way Lennox did. Klitschko always beats Ray Mercer.

Re: Wladimir Klitschko versus Ray Mercer

Ray has a puncher's chance but little more. Ray only did so good against Lennox because of Lennox's technical mistakes like bending down before throwing the uppercut and failing to counter Ray's jab. Klitschko would never fight Ray's fight the way Lennox did. Klitschko always beats Ray Mercer.
I don't see your logic with that one. Wlad does not have the chin to take big punches from Ray Mercer. The motivated and in-shape Mercer of 1996 would keep coming all night throwing punches. Surely Wlad would be KO'd eventually. Lennox had no choice but to fight Ray's fight anyway. Emanuel Steward told him to dig down and fight because Lennox couldn't use his technical skill to win that fight. The only thing Wlad has going for him is technical skill and that doesn't work against Ray Mercer when in beast mode.

Re: Wladimir Klitschko versus Ray Mercer

49-0
Evolution sparred with Wlad. Having trained with him I'm sure he has insight the rest of us could only dream of. BUT I agree with Maxmillian all the same. Wlad could only fight by jabbing and stepping backward and throwing the occasional straight right and his chin is made of glass. I'd pick a lot of shorter power punchers to back him up and destroy him; Tyson, Dempsey, Marciano, Louis AND Mercer. You can't judge the fight they actually had because Ray was so past it giving Wlad total control over an old man.

Re: Wladimir Klitschko versus Ray Mercer

Joe Kingman
Administrator
I don't know. Ray could be sluggish and lazy, but Wladimir was terrible in slugfests and his chin was not great. But honestly I could see peak Wladimir getting a clean decision over Ray. Ray might land here or there and hurt him but he wouldn't land enough. Plus Wlad has Emanuel Steward in his corner. Ray may threaten him but little more.

-Joe Kingman

Re: Wladimir Klitschko versus Ray Mercer

Phantom Punch
Eh, Ray would have to get lucky to actually stop Wlad. I know Wlad's chin wasn't concrete but I just don't see Ray knocking him out.

This is one of those things like this:

Could Ray Mercer knock out Wladimir Klitschko? Yes. He had the power to.

But would have knock out Wladimir Klitschko? No. It's really doubtful he would have the focus and luck to make it happen. Look at his record. Who is the best fighter he knocked out? Tommy Morrison? He lost all the big fights -Lewis, Holmes and Holyfield especially.

And even though he damn near killed Morrison (RIP) he was losing before he landed those butcher block shots that finished the fight.

Re: Wladimir Klitschko versus Ray Mercer

Here is a fresh link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmkxZt6b_O0

I really think Ray was trying to pace himself and "outjab the jabber." Of course that ain't gonna happen against Wlad. Ray couldn't overcome the jab from a washed up Larry Holmes, so he ain't outjabbing Wlad. Fighting more aggressive would have indeed given Wlad more to think about but it would have opened Ray up for counters and he may not have lasted as long in this fight..

Re: Wladimir Klitschko versus Ray Mercer

Will69
Even a prime Ray would never even have a chance with Wlad.  Povetkin is of similar size but more aggressive and Wlad threw him around him like a child.  Ray would get it worse, but because of Ray's chin, it's possible he'd remain standing.  Wlad is several leagues better than Ray (with all due respect to Ray), and really, Ray is too small to be a threat to Wlad.

Re: Wladimir Klitschko versus Ray Mercer

This is one of those times when I wish that Wlad and Lewis could have switched eras. I really don't see Wlad losing focus and getting laid out by McCall and Rahman. But I don't see him doing well in the close wars Lewis had with Mercer, Holyfield, etc, either.

Re: Wladimir Klitschko versus Ray Mercer

George Jefferson
Seeing how Wlad was so easily destroyed by Brewster and Sanders, you gotta give Ray Mercer a chance to destroy him too. Wlad just caught an old faded version of the "Merciless One."

One can't help but suspect that Wlad would have ended up the way Morrison did against young Mercer.

Re: Wladimir Klitschko versus Ray Mercer

Any boxer has a puncher's chance against another boxer, especially with a guy like Mercer.  But Wlad was too big, too strong, too much ring smarts to lose against any version of Ray.  Also, Wlad was too much of a technical fighter to get into a slug match with anyone -particularly hard punchers.

I commented about the Sanders fight in another thread.  Corrie won that fight legitimately.  But it was kind of like the first Rahman-Lewis fight in that Sanders got very lucky with one punch:  Corrie caught Wlad with a punch AND headbutt at the same time which almost knocked Wlad out.  Sanders followed that up with multiple headbutts with no time for Wlad to recover.  As well, Wlad had probably the worst trainer of all time during that fight.  Wlad's trainer kept quiet and didn't have any advice on how to stay alive, or at least recover from that headbutt.

The first fight between Wlad and Brewster was controversial.  The suspicion is that Wlad was drugged before the fight.  Klitschko suddenly lost energy and consciousness after round 3.  (Who gets winded after 3 rounds?)  He could hardly stand up by the 3rd round.  Wlad complained of extreme chills just before the fight.  The telling sign for me however, was after the fight.  Look at Wlad's eyes.  He's clearly under the influence of something.  Also, his skin started turning blue.   After the fight, I believe he sent away his urine to be tested in a lab for any contamination, but the urine sample was somehow "lost".  Some people say that with Don King, anything can happen, and the losing of the urine sample was no accident.  Lot's of discussion on this on google.  His second fight with Brewster, to me, was legitimate.

Re: Wladimir Klitschko versus Ray Mercer

Friday The 13th...
Will69 wrote
Any boxer has a puncher's chance against another boxer, especially with a guy like Mercer.  But Wlad was too big, too strong, too much ring smarts to lose against any version of Ray.  Also, Wlad was too much of a technical fighter to get into a slug match with anyone -particularly hard punchers.
Hmm.. Wlad definitely got into a slugfest with AJ. He tried to avoid slugfests like the plague, but a good boxer is one who forces his opponent to fight his fight, and that's what Ray Mercer did to Lennox Lewis. He outjabbed Lewis and outfought him, Lewis had no choice but to brawl back, kind of like how Norton and Frazier forced Ali out of his comfort zone. I don't see Wlad holding up so good against the Mercer that fought Lewis. It's questionable.