Would Marciano have had his success without Charley Goldman and Allie Columbo?

Would Marciano have had his success without Charley Goldman and Allie Columbo?

Zorro
His best friend Allie Colombo and his trainer Charley Goldman were both highly involved in Rocky's conditioning and training. If they didn't exist, would his career pan out the same? This is interesting because although the boxers themselves deserve the credit, sometimes their closest confidantes and trainers play a big part in how things play out.

Re: Would Marciano have had his success without Charley Goldman and Allie Columbo?

I doubt it. Rocky obviously had the heart, the punch and the talent to be a monster success. But Charley Goldman taught Rocky how to fight out of a crouch and other tricks, including the double left hook he used to knock out Harry Matthews. Allie Colombo was The Rock's best friend. He motivated him all the time. Allie and Goldman were two of the things that made Rocky who he was an athlete.

Re: Would Marciano have had his success without Charley Goldman and Allie Columbo?

Westmoreland
Duggerman wrote
I doubt it. Rocky obviously had the heart, the punch and the talent to be a monster success. But Charley Goldman taught Rocky how to fight out of a crouch and other tricks, including the double left hook he used to knock out Harry Matthews. Allie Colombo was The Rock's best friend. He motivated him all the time. Allie and Goldman were two of the things that made Rocky who he was an athlete.
I have to agree. Sure Rocky was one of the best ever but it was Charley Goldman who seasoned him as a fighter and taught him how to use his assets to full advantage. Without Charley I doubt Rocky would have achieved his undefeated status, big punch or not.

Allie was basically a cheerleader. It was basically having your best buddy in training camp with you all the time. I'd say he was there for motivational purposes, but Rocky would have achieved the same success without him.

Re: Would Marciano have had his success without Charley Goldman and Allie Columbo?

MAGUIRE
You need certain people in your life to make that impact. Charley Goldman crafted Rocky's crouching style while Colombo was there as a motivator since Rocky's childhood.
 photo lennox-hair_3476731_GIFSoupcom_zps919d29c7.gif

Re: Would Marciano have had his success without Charley Goldman and Allie Columbo?

J.C.
The Rock absolutely would not have made it without those 2. Columbo helped shape his talent and played a huge factor in Rocky’s ring success. Allie believed in Rocky no matter what. We all need support like that.

Re: Would Marciano have had his success without Charley Goldman and Allie Columbo?

Will69
Seems like it would be good for everyone to have a Charley and Allie in our corner, in life in general.