Would Mike Tyson go undefeated in other eras?

Would Mike Tyson go undefeated in other eras?

Let's say Tyson fought Joe Louis' opposition from 1935 or so until 1951. From a physical standpoint with all that speed and power, Tyson should bulldoze each and every one of them easily. But part of me says that he'd eventually lose focus and his career would end up more or less the same. What do you think?

Re: Would Mike Tyson go undefeated in other eras?

Will69
Absolutely Tyson would go undefeated -at least for a long time like say 7 years.   I believe Mike's reign would last and then fall mainly due to his peak years fading as his skills eventually faded.  The type of fighter Mike was, he simply would not have the longevity of a Lewis or Holyfield, but still have a lifespan respectable for a HW boxer in general.

But would Tyson decline due to a loss of focus?  I say not likely.  There are many reasons that could have contributed to Tyson's slow mental implosion, but I will argue that many of the reasons wouldn't exist in the 1930s.

Drugs and the party scene, I imagine, wasn't as common in the 1930s as it was in the 80s and 90s.  It was well known that Tyson partied hard -even in the days before some of his fights.  This up and down crazy lifestyle would surely mess with a guy's mental emotional state.  If the party scene ain't there, Tyson can't fall into it.

In the 1930s, Tyson would be considered a big guy at 217-224lbs.  Probably only until Tyson got old, would anyone defeat Tyson.  Tyson was too big, explosive,  strong, and lightening quick for anyone to be a real threat in the 1930s.  With no one on the scene to upset him, his confidence would not be shot as it had been in the 90s.

Related to the point above, Tyson struggling with top opponents, like Holyfield would make Tyson lose faith in  himself:  There was no Holyfield or Lewis or ATG fighter on the scene that could defeat Tyson with certainty.  Louis or Rocky would have the best chances, but in my opinion, would only have a chance.

His original team disintegrated, and left him open to guys like Don King.  That may have affected him financially more than anything, but that too would play into the stress that wore on him.  As well, King didn't care to  (or couldn't) control Mike's wild side as Cus did.  Cus did lots to keep Mike focused.  (I remember hearing Cus's gruff voice in a video once: "Your mind is not on your work!  Your mind is not on your work!...")

Marriage to Robin Givens: Having a bad marriage could easily ruin a man's focus (and life), and I'm sure this contributed to Mike's unstable mental condition.  But even in the 1930s, Mike could have similarly married a tv actress who could have tried to control his finances and him.   Also, I think Mike just wasn't mature enough in his early 20s to take on married life with all that fame and money.  Likely Robin too.

Re: Would Mike Tyson go undefeated in other eras?

I agree with some of your points but disagree with others. For example; Tyson lost focus during his own era so I don’t see why he wouldn’t in others.

Drinking, partying, drugs, etc were always popular. Joe Louis was secretly caught up in that scene, and also got involved with prostitution and the mob. Jack Johnson did the same, so the party scene would be there for Tyson regardless of the era.

I feel that if Tyson was 110% focused, could not age and was always in peak condition, he’d roll through some of the other eras with ease.