Your Top 10 Heavyweight List

Urban Legend
What's your top ten heavyweight list look like? I read AJ's and his is pretty good but I highly disagree having Mike Tyson at #1. Hell, I disagree with having Mike Tyson making the cut at all. Here is my list and why.

Muhammad Ali: Best ever. Too fast. Fought the best competition. Could take a punch. I could go on and on.

Joe Louis: 25 title defenses? 12 year title reign? Only one loss in his prime? Great, great resume.

Rocky Marciano: 49-0, 43 by KO. Nuff said.

George Foreman: Powerful, powerful man.

Joe Frazier: Best left hook in boxing. A real warrior.

Larry Holmes: Underrated by many but not by me.

Lennox Lewis: Best heavyweight of my generation

Evander Holyfield: Terrific fighter. Gave us some classics

Jack Dempsey: Set the stage for Mike Tyson and others

Jack Johnson: Very tricky and a trailblazer for African Americans

There is no Mike Tyson in my top ten. He lost all of his legacy fights and quit when he couldn't knock you out early. Mike was talented but not top ten material. I think everyone on my list would beat Mike Tyson. Sonny Liston almost made the list but like Mike Tyson, he was weak mentally and quit when the pressure was turned up.

So that's my list. what's yours?

Re: Your Top 10 Heavyweight List

KB50MJ
I really disagree when people say Tyson would give up if he couldn't knock you out early. Look at his fights with James Tillis, Mitch Green, José Ribalta, and James Smith just to name a few. All of them went the distance and mike won all of those fights. He even even floored Tillis in the middle rounds. The fight with José Ribalta went to the last round and Mike won on a TKO victory. James Smith didn't even want to fight when he faced tyson. All he did was hold him the entire fight.

We can even go to his fights with Tony Tucker, and Donovan Ruddock. Those two went the distance as well. And what did Mike do every time he went the distance? He won. He didn't give up.

Too many people think of Mike when he was washed up mentally and when he only fought for the money. Even a little bit before he went to prison Mike wasn't even fighting because he loved it anymore. He was doing it cuss Don King robbed him of most of his wealth and he need to pay off his debts. And unfortunately when Mike had his legacy fights he was way past his prime. Holyfield kept headbutting him for 2 fights and when he faced Lewis he was way over the hill mentally.

If we're gunna talk about fighters when they were washed up why not mention when Ali got his head bashed in by Larry Holmes.

Re: Your Top 10 Heavyweight List

Good post, KB50MJ. People really underestimate how sharp and focused Tyson was during his prime. I wrote a blog about my top ten heavyweights here.

http://ajdugger.weebly.com/1/post/2011/06/aj-duggers-list-of-the-top-ten-greatest-heavyweight-boxers-of-all-time.html

Re: Your Top 10 Heavyweight List

KB50MJ
I overlooked it real quick cuss I have to go out soon. But it looks great. When I get back I'm gunna read the entire thing and I'll leave a comment.

Re: Your Top 10 Heavyweight List

KB50MJ wrote
I really disagree when people say Tyson would give up if he couldn't knock you out early. Look at his fights with James Tillis, Mitch Green, José Ribalta, and James Smith just to name a few. All of them went the distance and mike won all of those fights. He even even floored Tillis in the middle rounds. The fight with José Ribalta went to the last round and Mike won on a TKO victory. James Smith didn't even want to fight when he faced tyson. All he did was hold him the entire fight.

We can even go to his fights with Tony Tucker, and Donovan Ruddock. Those two went the distance as well. And what did Mike do every time he went the distance? He won. He didn't give up.
You just proved my point. All of the men you highlighted were nobodies, and yet they took Mike the distance. Who were Lennox Lewis and Evander Holyfield? Only the best fighters of Mike Tyson's generation. And he lost to both of them.

I don't think Mike Tyson was past his best when he lost to Lennox. Remember that Lennox was actually older than Mike Tyson when they fought. He took a big uppercut and quit. The fight was Lennox's right then and there.

Photobucket

Re: Your Top 10 Heavyweight List

KB50MJ
Look at Ali. He went the distance like 22 times. Some against some of the greats, I'll give him that. But for the most part, names that are not that big.

Remember styles make fights. The reason Tyson went the distance is because 1) the other guy ran from him all night or 2) they held onto him the entire night. Not because Tyson lacked skill. One guy even got DQ for holding Tyson too much. The second he got hit by Tyson he gave up and just held on to the point where the ref just stopped the fight.

Another great point that Steve Lott made about Tyson was this:
"ALWAYS A TOUGH QUESTION - COMPARING GREAT FIGHTERS. BUT THIS IS THE WAY I DO IT. I NEVER RATE FIGHTER WHEN THEY PERFORM AT THEIR BEST - I RATE THEM WHEN THEY PERFORM AT THEIR WORST.

SO WITH ALI, I DO NOT THINK OF THE ALI THAT LOOKED GREAT AGAINST LISTON 2ND OR CLEVELAND WILLIAMS. I THINK OF THE ALI THAT GOT DROPPED BY COOPER, DROPPED BY BANKS, CHASED OUT OF THE RING BY DOUG JONES, AND THE LEGENDARY? KARL MILDENBERGER. SO AT HIS WORST ALI WAS NOT SO GREAT.

I ANALYZE MIKE THE SAME WAY BUT THE RESULT IS VERY DIFFERENT. I DO NOT LOOK AT THE TYSON THAT SCORED SENSATIONAL KOS AGAINST FRAZIER, BERBICK, BIGGS, HOLMES SPINKS. FOR A COMPARISON I CHOOSE THE TYSON THAT HAD TO WORK HARD AGAINST TILLIS, GREEN, SMITH AND TUCKER.

THIS MIKE, AT HIS WORST, WON ALMOST EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY ROUND, NEVER TAKING A BACKWARD STEP AGAINST THESE VERY CAPABLE FIGHTERS. SO AT HIS WORST? MIKE WAS A STILL A SUPERB FIGHTER."

And with Lewis I really think Tyson was way past his prime. I mean common. He was NOT the same fighter he was in the 80's. Hell he wasn't even the same fighter that he was in the 90's. Mentally Tyson was done by the time he faced him. He even stated in many interviews that the only reason he  was still fighting was because he was in debt.

Re: Your Top 10 Heavyweight List

Urban Legend, I respect why you have Ali at the top of your list. Most fans do. After all, Ali defeated Sonny Liston when he was blinded by an illegal substance on Liston's gloves. He couldn't see and still overcame Liston. He pulled off another miracle when he laid on the ropes and let George Foreman pound away at him for almost 8 rounds, then knocked him out.

Muhammad actually won most of his legacy fights. Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Sonny Liston, Floyd Patterson, George Chuvalo, Earnie Shavers, Ron Lyle, Henry Cooper, Archie Moore, Ken Norton, etc. I can go on and on. That's why Ali is given so much praise.

Tyson, on the other hand, was like a comet in the sky. His prime came and went. His prime was only five years, and he was the perfect fighter during 3 of those years with Kevin Rooney. He didn't pull off any miracles the way Ali did, but he no doubt knocks out most other fighters head to head. IMO, Tyson would beat Holyfield and Lewis in their primes.

But we need to get back on topic here. We have a thread called "Thoughts on Tyson" where we analyze Tyson as a fighter. I just bumped it.

Anyone else wanna post their list of top ten heavyweights?

[...]

I'm going to reply to you in the Mike Tyson thread.

My top ten would be

Muhammad Ali

Joe Louis

Lennox Lewis

Sonny Liston

George Foreman

Joe Frazier

Rocky Marciano

Larry Holmes

Jack Johnson

Gene Tunney

Re: Your Top 10 Heavyweight List

49-0
Rocky Marciano is at the top. At the end of the day, what matters most? your record. rocky was undersized but had the punch of monster and never gave up. My list might be Rocky, Louis, Frazier, Ali, Dempsey, Foreman and a few others. I need to sit down and think it over.

Re: Your Top 10 Heavyweight List

Bert Sugar
Joe Louis
Muhammad Ali
Jack Dempsey
Jack Johnson
Gene Tunney
Rocky Marciano
Ezzard Charles
George Foreman
Joe Frazier
Larry Holmes

Evander would be 11, and Mike Tyson would be 12.

Re: Your Top 10 Heavyweight List

Shane
Bert Sugar wrote
Joe Louis
Muhammad Ali
Jack Dempsey
Jack Johnson
Gene Tunney
Rocky Marciano
Ezzard Charles
George Foreman
Joe Frazier
Larry Holmes

Evander would be 11, and Mike Tyson would be 12.
Why did Ezzard Charles make the top ten but not Evander Holyfield? Evander had a good crusierweight career, too.

And why does Joe Louis beat out Muhammad Ali as your #1? It's difficult for me to envision Joe Louis being able to find and hit Muhammad Ali.

Re: Your Top 10 Heavyweight List

Bert Sugar
Redemption wrote
Why did Ezzard Charles make the top ten but not Evander Holyfield? Evander had a good crusierweight career, too.

And why does Joe Louis beat out Muhammad Ali as your #1? It's difficult for me to envision Joe Louis being able to find and hit Muhammad Ali.
I'm a big Evander fan. He just wasn't as good of a light heavyweight as Ezzard Charles was.

Every generation grows up with a hero. My hero was Joe Louis. Your hero? Muhammad Ali. I just give preference to fighters with a knockout punch. Muhammad Ali had one against Cleveland Williams and Sonny Liston the second time around. But Joe Louis had one in every round of every fight. That's what a heavyweight is supposed to have. And once Joe Louis had you on the hook, you were on the hook! Ask Billy Conn about that.

Re: Your Top 10 Heavyweight List

1 Muhammad Ali

2 Joe Louis

3 Jack Dempsey

4 Rocky Marciano

5 Sonny Liston

6 Vitali Klitschko

7 George Foreman

8 Joe Frazier

9 Larry Holmes

10 Gene Tunney

Re: Your Top 10 Heavyweight List

I like your list Bert, I would just change a few
1) Louis
2) Ali
3) Tyson
4) Holmes