"The Best I've Faced" by George Foreman

Evan Fields
BEST OVERALL
Muhammad Ali

BEST BOXER
Between Holyfield and Young gave the edge to HOLYFIELD.

BEST JAB
Ali

BEST DEFENSE
Holyfield

BEST CHIN
Ali "I was a bit too egotistical to understand nobody had knocked him out, ... he had more pride than any other human being I ever met in my life"

BEST PUNCHER
Ron Lyle
"He hit me so hard it didn't hurt"

FASTEST HANDS
Holyfield. Ali had the fastest right hand, but Holyfield had
the best mox of speed and combination punching.

FASTEST FEET
Jimmy Young

SMARTEST
Ali

STRONGEST
Lyle
Foreman: He (Lyle) was like "I'm as big, strong, and tough as you are"

Re: "The Best I've Faced" by George Foreman

Evan Fields
This is an interesting read, especially him saying that Evander had quicker hands and combinations than Muhammad Ali. This is from the new Ring Magazine. I forgot to mention that earlier.

Re: "The Best I've Faced" by George Foreman

I like reading how boxers' rate their opponents. Though Foreman runs hot and cold with his opinions. Didn't he say on a talk show once that Gerry Cooney hit him the hardest?

I'm also surprised that he said Holyfield had the best defense. Holyfield got hit a lot in their fight, and many of them were punches he didn't have to take. He sometimes stood in front of Foreman to trade shots but always jumped out of reach before Foreman could really let him have it.

Re: "The Best I've Faced" by George Foreman

Re: "The Best I've Faced" by George Foreman

Though it is not at all surprising that he could find Holyfield's combinations faster than Ali's.  Recall that lost signifiocant hand speed-& even more foot speed-just due to his exile.  By '74 when they fought, Ali was still great, but certainly was somewhat slower overall than he was the '60s.
I think his hand speed was still quite fast in '74, especially considering he was quick enough to batter George with right hand leads. His foot speed wasn't as good but his hand speed? I'm not so sure it was that much slower.

Evander had quick hands but unlike Ali it was only in spurts. His hands were lightning quick at cruiserweight and he still had some of those great cruiserweight skills when he fought Foreman.

I was thinking the same thing. Evander did that a lot in the Bert Cooper fight. He would hit Cooper and wait for him to return the favor instead of getting the hell out of the way. It's like he was saying "I can take it." But it was foolish to take blows he didn't need to take from guys like Foreman and Cooper. That's the reason he has dementia now. Foolish pride.

[...]

Most boxers at some point when the dust has settled contradict themselves at some point in the excitment of the present ie hailing Lewis as top of the heap at some point but on reflection yrs later reevaluate on the evidence & which ever way you look at it by his own admission Ali comes out as smartest & best overall fighter he faced. Ali was given little chance & prevailed in dramatic fashion so George knows this was the one that got away affecting him badly in subsequent encounters in the way he approached fights.
When he fought Holy he was way past his own best & did incredibly well to survive the encounter putting up an admirable showing against a young fast formidable opponent, but the fighter who slaughtered Frazier years earlier imo would have stopped Holyfield.
He would have hammered Young in his prime but the Ali fight had shattered his confidence (too cautious by far) The Lyle fight was something else & gave him some pride back (What a fight that was). His heart was just not in it following the Young fight & the subsequent encounter post Young fight GOD/preaching taking him away from boxing for a long haiatus leaving a massive hole in the division & so many what if's unanswered. He answered those in dramatic fashion & to regain any version of the title against any younger opponent at 45 years of age  was poetic vindication & laid the Ali ghost to rest forever, something he carried for years later which he should not have, he just fought an inspired Ali & simply underestimated Ali's heart, will to win, chin, you name it

Foreman: He (Lyle) was like "I'm as big, strong, and tough as you are"
Nice breakdown. I would have thought Gerry Cooney was the strongest, not Ron Lyle. But I take George at his word.

Re: "The Best I've Faced" by George Foreman

Rosco
Holyfield a better boxer than Ali? Holyfield having faster hands than  Ali?   George done went senile, yall.

Re: "The Best I've Faced" by George Foreman

Rosco wrote
Holyfield a better boxer than Ali? Holyfield having faster hands than  Ali?   George done went senile, yall.
True, but you gotta remember that George fought Holyfield during his prime. He fought an older but still great Muhammad Ali though, so he can only go by the versions of them that he fought.

Re: "The Best I've Faced" by George Foreman

I'm real surprised he omitted Gerry Cooney from the list. He always claimed Cooney hit him the hardest but rated Lyle as the best puncher.